Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Bane of Manes

So Opening Hunt is next weekend and I am SOOOO EXCITED!

I have lined up a horse to borrow as well as transportation. I've ridden this saintly horse several times before, including a lesson where I learned some ways to improve my galloping position, and how to ask for a flying lead change (something I have always wanted to learn but never really needed to considering I never showed much), so I feel confident about using him. I have my melton, canary vest, stock tie, and magical hairnet, so I feel confident about how I'll look. I also FINALLY resigned myself to the fact that my favorite watch is gone forever, and got a cheapo replacement so I won't be late like the last two times I've hunted (only one of which I wrote about...oops).

The one thing I am NOT so confident about is braiding manes. I've watched a lot of videos so I understand the basic idea, but I've never actually done it.

I French braid my own hair nearly every day though, and I've got a week to practice...so here's hoping Seven will look like this:
COTH


And not like that one person who shows up at a schooling show feeling really proud for braiding...until the braid ends up sticking up in all directions, falling out, and frizzing up to such a degree it would have been better not to try in the first place.

The day of Opening also marks my fourth year together with Byron and my last anniversary as an unmarried lady. Byron gave me his blessing to go hunting in the morning before we celebrate (not like he had much choice in the matter). Is it wrong that I'm not sure which I am looking forward to more--exploring local wineries in the afternoon, or outriding and outlasting all of the noobs who retire after an hour? Granted, I'll be on a horse that could hunt in his sleep...but still!

This week I'm also riding (not hunting) a horse a local instructor wants to get back into work and sell. He's a much different ride than the guest/husband horses I have been riding lately...he's a chestnut 8 y/o Warmblood cross who is a very forward show hunter type. He's only around 15hh but there is so much movement in that ground-covering daisy-cutter trot!

It's funny, but in the ring when they get quick, I get nervous and tense. Yet out in the hunt field when everyone else is doing it,  it's exhilarating. So, provided that he doesn't do anything too naughty, I think this will be good for my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment